Saturday, December 9, 2006

Movie Review


THE LIBERTINE
I rented this movie last night since I love Johnny Depp with a passion. I could go on and on about the reasons I love him, the last of which being his physical looks. He is such a good actor and has the ability to mold himself to every character in a way I've never seen before. He makes his characters believable when they're originally fictional and he brings those characters which had once lived back to life.

The Libertine was a true Johnny Depp film without the Hollywood. I don't remember this ever being in theatres but it probably was at any rate, it is similar in style to The Man Who Cried (costarring Christina Ricci) and is rather dark. The Internet Movie Database says this about the movie:
The story of John Wilmot (Depp), a.k.a. the Earl of Rochester, a 17th century poet who famously drank and debauched his way to an early grave, only to earn posthumous critical acclaim for his life's work.
The movie itself is filled with drink, sex and poems. I would not claim this movie to be entertaining on the premise that it was full of action but it is exciting in a very different way. This is definitely not for someone under the age of 18.

The movie makes you pay attention, the downside of this film is that many of the scenes are dark and so it is almost impossible to see what is going on - I had only one of my paper lamps on and I still was unable to see the film in some parts.

I would say that if you want to watch a Johnny Depp film where you love and pity the character - watch this. The ending is beautiful in its own way and throughout the whole film you get memorable quotes as Johnny recites poetry that is either comical or sexual in nature. The path his life takes is stunning to watch and it is just overall a wonderful film.

The acting on Johnny's part as well as Mrs. Barry's part (a character in the film) is top notch. Everyone in the film did an amazing job including Elizabeth (Johnny's on screen wife) and King Charles I.

Definitely go pick this one up. It's a good movie to watch if you want to feel like you did when watching The Man Who Cried.

SuperStenoGirl's rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: